Radiologic Technician Salary
In the United States, radiologic technicians generally receive good salaries with excellent job security and opportunities for growth. The setting in which the radiologic technician works, however, can make a huge difference at both the higher and lower ranges of the income scale.
Ranges of Radiologic Technician Salaries in the USA
In the United States, about one in ten radiologic technicians makes $35,000 a year or less. About one in technicians makes $75,000 a year or more. The lowest paid radiologic technicians work in doctor’s offices in small towns and rural areas. The best paid radiologic technicians work in specialty diagnostic clinics, usually in metropolitan areas. But there are also variations between the extremes. On a national average:
- Doctor offices pay $48,000 a year.
- Out-patient care centers pay $50,840 a year.
- Hospitals pay $52,890 a year.
- Federal hospitals pay $53,650 a year.
Some locations, however, may pay a lot less or a lot more than the national averages. Here is a chart compiled from US Department of Labor Data telling the average annual earnings, average annual earnings for the lowest paid 10 per cent of workers, average annual earnings for the highest paid 10 per cent of workers, and how many jobs are available in each state in the United States. As you can see, location makes a big difference in future earnings.
|State||Jobs||Average Wage||Lowest 10% of earners||Highest 10% of earners|
|District of Columbia||670||63270||42250||87710|
Radiology Technician Salary by Region
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, a division of the United States Department of Labor, the average radiology technician salary was $52,000 as of 2008. Although that is the latest official economic data the fact that it is three years old means that wages have probably increased around 6% nationwide.
Radiology technicians are also referred to as radiographers and radiologist technicians. Their main duties are to perform diagnostic imaging tests on patients for diagnostic purposes. The vast majority of radiology techs work in hospitals (60%) while the rest work in doctor’s offices and clinics.
Most radiology technologists have a two year associate’s degree. Only 17% of active radiology techs have bachelor’s degrees but that number is expected to increase as the profession becomes more technical resulting in the need for more advanced post secondary programs.
Radiology technician salary varies by region. The following data shows the regions with the highest salaries:
- Pacific (AK, WA, OR, CA, HI) $74,200
- New England (ME, VT, NH, MA, RI, CT) $69,000
- Middle Atlantic (NY, NJ, PA) $62,000
- South Atlantic (DE, MD, WV, VA, NC, SC, GA, Fl, WADC) $61,000
- Radiology technician salary earnings can be increased through specializations in specific tests or patient populations. Additional certifications can add thousands to a technologist’s yearly salary as well as make them more marketable. Rad techs can also choose to return to school to obtain a bachelor’s degree since the majority of techs possess associate’s degrees. Earning a bachelor’s degree often leads to a position in health care administration where the individual no longer works with patients but manages departments.
In addition to further training The American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) offers voluntary certification for radiologic technologists which may result in a slightly higher salary. Once certified, the radiology technician must complete 24 hours of continuing education/training to hold onto their certification.
For people interested in becoming a radiology technician it is important to note that many work non-traditional hours especially when first starting out in their career. As with many other health care workers, they work shifts that include swing and graveyard. Many are also required to be on call a portion of the time.
Despite the rigorous training and long hours a career as a radiology technician remains a popular choice. As you can see, a radiology technician salary is one of the highest for people who have an associate’s degree.